I don’t know a person alive who wouldn’t want to have a more successful day than the one they had before. Each day I strive to do just a bit better than I did the day before whether its to get up a smidge earlier, get going a bit quicker, accomplishing more from my to-do list, etc. I strive every day to be a better version of myself than I was the day before. I was asked a few times last month what I do to make this happen and honestly I didn’t have an answer at the time. I simply just “got up and did it”. When I sat down and thought about that answer it wasn’t much help to anyone in anyway. So for a week I basically wrote down what I did throughout the day in order to come up with a better answer to the “How do you have successful days”.
I’m going to share with you the Top 10 things I do each week to have a successful day, in business, in life, and all around!
- Get Up Early- This is a terrible one to start with, ive fought it for YEARS. You can ask anyone who knows me well and they will tell you that I am a night owl. I LOVE to stay up late working, reading, putting together puzzles, etc. I don’t know why but my brain has always kicked on when the sun goes down. The thing I noticed in 2017 was that, while I was working at night, I was being such a lazy bum during the day. Sure I was doing my “mommy/wife duties” but I wasn’t eating well, I was groggy, I got cranky easily, and my business wasn’t moving as fast as I would have liked it. I made a decision in early December 2017 to get up early, like when my husband left for work at 5 early, to start my day. I oddly was super successful at it on the days I dedicated to getting up early! I still allow myself two days a week to sleep in, I still don’t LOVE getting out of bed early, so that I can reboot and recharge. On the whole I get up and get going when my feet hit the ground. Get up and get your day going when your feet hit the floor.
- Set Intentions For The Day – After your feet hit the floor DECIDE how your day will go. Setting intentions are basically you telling yourself how your day will go. You tell yourself that you will have a good day. You TELL yourself that you will be productive. You TELL yourself that you will make money, be a success, get all of your tasks done, be an awesome sauce mom, etc. Whatever it is that you WANT to achieve that day tell yourself that it shall happen.
- Create A To-Do List– Once your up, your intentions are set it’s time to outline what needs to be done today! Take out a blank sheet of paper, the blank part is very important, and write out what you need to get done today. Laundry, dishes, writing content to share, creating your newest course, taking the kids to XYZ practice/event, making dinner, whatever it is that you know you can realistically accomplish and that needs done during the day write it down. A to-do list helps keep you on track and moving forward throughout your day. When you’re able to cross things off your list you will also feel an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.
- Plan Your Meals– This one might seem silly at first but man can I just say it saves SOOOOO much time during the day as a busy mompreneur. Take 30 seconds of your “get going in the am” to write down what you’ll be eating throughout the day, the kids too if they are home with you. When it comes time for meal time you’ll be able to just reach into the fridge and make what you had planned rather than standing in front of an open fridge wondering what you should be making. I cant tell you how much time, and electricity, ive wasted standing in front of an open fridge trying to figure out what to make myself and the kiddo. Not only does it save you time but in time you start eating healthier, which in the long run makes your feel better all around. (Not to mention it helps with weight loss because it keeps you from binge eating throughout the day lol)
- Decide Your Top 3 Priorities– From your to-do list pick out 3 things that MUST happen no matter what else gets accomplished on your list! Thea 3 things become your priorities. Now, thats not to say the the other items on your to-do list aren’t improtant or dont need done, they do indeed. What this means is that these 3 things can not be put off until tomorrow where are maybe content writing for a blog not due for another two weeks might be able to be carried over into tomorrow. Taking the kiddos to a dentist apt at 3 pm might be considered a priority. My top 3 priorities pretty much stay the same each day as I am a SAHMompreneur. I teach my son a school lesson (we homeschool), I work on my business during nap time (I am one of the lucky few who can still claim nap time independent time), pick up my house when the day is done (I can’t go to bed with a dirty house). Now, there may be days where we go to group, we have a chiropractic appointment, we have an errand to run, etc. But I can adjustment my priorities accordingly.
- Start Work– It might seem like the jest 5 things will take up all of your time in the morning, but they actually only take about 15 minutes to accomplish. When you get up early you have far more time to accomplish things than you imagine at say 8pm. Now it’s time to actually start accomplishing the things on your to-do list, start working!
- Prep For Tomorrow– After the kiddos are in bed, your day is winding down, and before you turn in for the night prep for your day tomorrow. By getting ready for tomorrow you are setting yourself up for even more success. You can lay out your clothes (and the kiddos clothes), write out a mock to-do list for tomorrow (one you can edit in the morning should new things come to mind), decide what food you’d like (pull food from freezers if necessary). Anything that will set you up for tomorrow.
- Give Thanks– After a long, busy, and successful day it is right to give thanks to god/the universe/whomever/whatever it is you give thanks to. Show your gratitude for all things successfully done. This helps establish a positive attitude inside and out. Having a positive outlook on things fosters more focus on the good things that happen and are to come.
- Walk Away From Technology– At some point during the day you need to close your laptop, put down the tablet, close the cellphone and just disconnect form the world. Enjoy the people in your home, the reason your in business, the quite of your home if thats what you enjoy most. Step away from the technology and just enjoy being.
- Go To Sleep- This is probably the most important tip of all 10, GO TO SLEEP! You can’t expect to get up at 5-6 in the morning if you’re not going to bed until 1-2 in the morning. Step away from work, enjoy an evening with your family, and turn in by 10pm at the latest. I’ll be honest, having been a night owl all my life this was very hard, but it is something that can happen in time. I’m now in the routine of getting up around 5 and being in bed by 8:30-9 and asleep by 9-9:30. Some call me an old lady for it but my business and family are far more successful because of it. I count that as a win over a silly nap any day!
I hope you can apply these to your day and start to feel more organized not only in your personal life but in your business life.
If you have other tips for a successful day leave them in the comments below for us!!!
Want to get more organized in your mompreneur life?
Snag your free 90 day success planner below!