Can I just say that before I figured out my “groove” I was ALL over the place. Do you know what I mean? When you sit down to “work” but struggle to actually work. I’d map out work time in my mind, sit down at my laptop with my notebook and pen and it was almost instantly that I remembered I had to go to the bathroom, or I needed to switch the laundry, or I could see the playroom and it was a mess, or … you name it I just KNEW it needed done right then and there.
It took me a bit of time but I finally figured out what needed to happen in order to make work happen and be in the right frame of mind to accomplish what I needed to do. This may seem silly or overly simple but every single time I sit down to work I repeat the same things again and again to accomplish my tasks.
While I don’t agree with everything in the book, my biz bestie and I were reading The Miracle Morning one month and I did take quite a bit away from the readings. The basis of the book is about creating a morning ritual in order to create success. Elrod suggests you knock out the most important things in the morning so that when you sit down to work you can simply work.
- I switch all laundry so that I don’t have to be interrupted by needing to switch loads
- I clean my kitchen sink of all dirty dishes, something about dirty dishes in the sink drives me bonkers
- I take a potty break
- Grab a cup of water AND coffee
- Put the kiddo on the play mat with toys he hasn’t played with in a few days so he’s entertained
- I Lay out my notebook, pens, laptop, and planner so that I have all my to-do’s and deadlines available at my finger tips
- I check over my to-do list (that I wrote out the night before- it gives me time throughout the day to mentally prepare for what tasks i’m going to be completing)
- I open all my pages documents i’ll need, numbers files, google docs, etc. for the tasks I’m working on
- Lastly I start a movie that I can listen to through my one ear bud in the background. I have a group of 4-5 movies I can put on, minimize, and listen to through my headphones that help keep me focused and working. Most people listen to music while they work and I totally encourage whatever works for you. I get distracted when I listen to music so Titanic, Arthur, Saving Mr. Banks, and Sister Act are my go-to background noise movies. Plus they are just good and enjoyable movies!
P.S. If you’re looking to get your business started, going, or moving forward come join us for daily tips and trick on how to do just that! Click Here For–> Daily Motivation/Tips/Tricks